Monday, March 24, 2014

A Day in the Life

About once a year - I try to do a "Day in the Life" blog post.  It helps me to go back and see what our little days were like.  I read back on the last few last night and I'd almost forgot how different things were with just one baby or with smaller kids.  And it made me miss those sweet days.  

Here are a few of the ones from the past:  2010,  2011, and 2013

Our days right now are usually pretty busy - the girls are in preschool or we go to Bible Study at church or speech therapy.  But since it's spring break - I thought it would be a good day to document our day. 

I had hoped we would sleep late today but Hollis woke up at 6:45.  So I got her and put her in my bed.  I usually get up at 6 before the girls are up to do my quiet time but today I just did it while she was with me.  I'm reading through the Gospels right now and reading "The Gospel" by J.D. Greear.   This is my guide that I'm using right now to compare stories in the gospels. (I'm behind on my reading and I also haven't checked a few days off. )

Both girls were up by 7:30 and I made the bed and we went to the kitchen and ate breakfast.  After breakfast, I put up dishes from the dishwasher and cleaned up the kitchen.

The girls started on the first art project of the day.  They love to color and do any kind of art.  We LOVE these Melissa and Doug sticker books.   I folded two loads of laundry and ran some more while they did this.

Around 9, I ran to take a shower while the girls colored and played in their room.  I normally shower at night.  I don't like to dry my hair so I let it dry naturally over night and then just run a curling iron through it.  Today I just showered but didn't wash my hair.  It takes me about 20-30 minutes to get ready most days if I'm actually fixing my hair, dressing and putting on makeup.

Just a look in my broken full length mirror - one day maybe I'll actually get a new one.  In full disclosure - this is what I wore last night to church.  I normally keep my Sunday morning clothes on all day since we go back to church at 4:30 for choir.  My girls even nap in their sunday dresses (I offer to let them put on comfy clothes but they usually insist on it).  But yesterday I went to church in the morning with HORRIBLE static cling and a big hole in my tights.  I didn't realize either until I got there so I came home and changed.  I only had this on for maybe 3 hours yesterday.

I got the girls dressed and worked on Harper with a few speech exercises and then we loaded up in the car.

We took Dawson for a little manicure.  He was thrilled.  

And our Sonic has 99 cents large drinks before 10 a.m. so we got there right in time for a little diet coke pick me up.  

The girls at the vet.  

What I'm not mentioning in this day in the life post is a pause every 15 minutes for a screaming match.  You see a lot of smiley faces in these posts and they are such sweet girls and ADORE each other but they also fight like cats and dogs.

My girls are really pretty well behaved and loving, kind girls and I rarely have to get on to either one EXCEPT for fighting.  Which seems to never end and involves a lot of screaming that makes me want to lose my mind. 

We dropped Dawson off at home and made a trip to Wal-Mart.  

We got home and the girls asked to go out side and play.  They bundled themselves up.  It may be spring break but we don't have spring weather today.  They played while I put up groceries and made lunch.

Our lunches consist of sandwiches, fruit and yogurt typically.  We ate lunch and then got ready to go to speech.  I had to run by the pharmacy to pick up a prescription first.  We go to speech about 40 minutes away.  Harper had been saying her stomach hurt and didn't eat a lot of lunch.  We got in the car and she started crying that it hurt so I turned around and headed home and texted her therapist that we needed to miss.

We came home and Harper got on the couch to watch a movie.  It didn't take long before she fell asleep.  I knew she must not feel good because she's only taken about 4 naps in the last 2 years.  Hollis took a nap too.  It was one shining moment!!!  While they napped, I answered email, worked on more laundry and a few other odds and ends.  

 The mail came and I was super excited because my Noonday jewelry that I ordered at the party I went to a few weeks ago came in! I wanted these earrings ever since I saw both Christy Nockels and Jen Hatmaker wearing them at the If Gathering.  I'm so excited! And that bracelet is just awesome and goes with anything.  And I love Noonday and how they support women around the world.

I made Scott and the girls grilled chicken for dinner but I have this weird aversion to chicken (I'm not pregnant - this has been going on for about 2 years).  So I made myself a shrimp Chinese salad.  I don't normally make two different dinners - I usually just eat the chicken but I wasn't up to it tonight.

Scott and Steve work out in our garage a few nights a week.  They do a Crossfit workout.  Most nights we eat as a family but some nights the girls and I eat and then he eats when he's done.  Tonight they were working out.

And this is where normally I would bathe the girls and get them ready for bed.  I try to have them in bed between 7:30 and 8.  Harper never gets tired for some reason so it can take an hour or more to get her to stick and go to sleep.

But we are having an off day.  Harper still isn't feeling well and just fell asleep on the couch again.  We don't have to be up tomorrow so I will probably let them stay up late after baths.  And I am just praying Harper is feeling better and we don't have a stomach virus.  I was just thinking yesterday how fortunate we have been because none of the four of us have had as much as a runny nose since summer.  We have just stayed extra healthy this winter so I can't complain if we have one round of sickness but I'm hoping it's just an upset tummy.

I need to go tend to my patient so I'm signing off.  But this is a typical day in our lives in 2014 with a 3 and 5 year old!  I'm a lucky girl.

OH and I almost forgot the most important thing from today!!! This little girl wore panties for the first time and only had one small accident!! HALLELUJAH!!! Looks like we might actually be out of diapers by this summer after all!!  For Good! 

blog comments powered by Disqus