Friday, December 10, 2010

A Day in the Life

I feel like every few months - I should probably do a little "Day in the Life" post.  Not really for anyone reading this but so I can document what we do all day. ha! That way when I'm an older mom I can look back and see what I was doing as a young mom.  I know I think back to when Harper was a little baby and I thought the days were so long and now I think back to what a special time that was.
I should warn you - you might want to read this before you go to bed because it might have the same affect as warm milk.  But at least I'm doing this on a day when I've been out and about or you would be reading about us sitting around in our pj's all day and me yelling at Harper to get out of the pantry or to quit standing on my office chair 500 times and me picking up toys for the zillionth time.

I should probably add here that I'm guest blogging for "At Home in Arkansas Magazine" on their blog today about holiday clothes for kids.  If I wait to the end of this post to tell you - you will already be asleep. ha!

 My day started off in a panic because it was one of those rare mornings where I wanted to shower and get ready BEFORE I took Harper to MDO.  Normally I just roll out of bed and take her in my sweats and glasses and my hair not combed but I had to go straight to the doctor today.  BUT my alarm didn't go off so I woke up and had to run in the bathroom and get ready while Scott put Harper in bed with him to watch Mickey Mouse.  I don't know if Harper actually had the stomach bug or not. She only got sick one time and was fine all day yesterday so I took her on to school.  We had a little drama getting ready this morning because she did NOT like her outfit.  I was putting her top on her and she was going "No, NO, NO!" and then started crying.  Really - are you 13 or not even 2? (I happen to LOVE this outfit - she looks like a little Tri Chi (my college sorority colors).
I took her to school and she didn't even look at me because they had play dough out on the table and she made a bee line to start playing. 
 I dropped her off and ran to my doctor's office.  Today was my glucose test so I got to drink the yummy Fruit Punch and then wait an hour to have blood drawn.  Luckily during that time they let me see the Nurse practitioner so I was only really there an hour! I got to hear Hollis' heartbeat and it was 144! It's such a relief to know she is doing okay! (Yes - I took this picture while I sat in the room waiting).
 After my appointment I went to Hobby Lobby (and found NOTHING I wanted) and then a little baby boutique next door.  I just felt like looking around since I normally don't have time and I saw this cute little razorback hat with a knit razorback. So cute!
 I haven't been to Mimi's to eat in FOREVER and I have been craving it so I picked lunch up to go and took it home so Scott and I could have a little lunch date! I hate eggs - they make me gag but for some reason I love quiche. I know - weird.
 After lunch I ran by the post office to get stamps for all the Christmas cards I'm hoping to send out next week when they finally come.  I hate going to the post office but I'm so thankful for this automated center because that's pretty much all I ever use anymore!
 One of my VERY favorite things about Christmas is the Christmas Store our church puts on.  Our church members buy a ton of toys and then families in need in the area can come "shop" on a Saturday and be able to provide toys for their family for free! Scott and I never get gifts for each other - this is what we like to do each year instead.  I love being part of a church that doesn't just like to get dressed up on Sunday and enjoy fellowship and worship with each other (although I do love that part too) - but the focus is on reaching the lost and meeting needs of the needy.  That's church to me!
P.S. I didn't mean to buy only girl things but I did. I can't help it - it's just what I know. ha!
 I picked Harper up from "school", dropped off the toys at our church, and brought her home.  I got a little bonus today because her teacher said none of the kids took a nap today.  So we came straight home and went down for a nap! Hallelujah! While she "slept" - I put up groceries from Wal-Mart.
 And folded the endless mound of laundry that seems to always constantly be waiting for me.
 I checked the mail and we got several cute Christmas cards! My VERY VERY VERY favorite thing about Christmas is checking the mail each day and getting a pile of cards! It seriously is my favorite thing - I wish it went on all year!
One of the main things I wanted at Hobby Lobby was some kind of cute little paper that I could stick in some of my cards so I could write notes to a few people I needed to write notes to. I couldn't find anything that I thought might work and then I got this little package in the mail from Kacey from DoodleBugs.  I have always bought all my labels and notecards there since I found her on a blog years ago. I couldn't believe she sent me a little "happy" and these are the perfect size for the notes I wanted to put in with my cards! This made my day!!!
 Harper only "napped" for about an hour. I put that in quotes because I don't think she ever slept.  She got up and I let her have a snack of cheerios and watch a cartoon so I could get a few things done.  She rarely ever sits still for 10 minutes so I was glad today she did.
 I unloaded the dishwasher. I feel like all I ever do is unload and load the dishwasher and run the laundry. Do you ever feel that way?
 Our biggest issue right now is this chair in my office. All day long Harper is constantly running in here and standing on my chair.  And I don't care how many times she gets spanked or gets time out - she is right back there climbing on the chair.  It's making me crazy.  You can tell she just got caught.
 I'm probably going to lose my "Southern Mom" card when I admit this but I've never made mashed potatos before.  I've never really made instant or homemade. It's just not something I normally eat.  I'm more of a rice girl. Or I make fried potatos or baked potatos but never mashed.  But today I decided I really wanted to make them and I figured Harper would like them.  I have to say they turned out SO good  - of course I made them full of butter, sour cream and cheese.  But guess who would NOT take a bite? She used to be so good about eating but now if she doesn't want to eat it - she will look at it - say "No" and "All Done" and push it away. And I can try and try to pry it in her mouth but it's not happening.  Hopefully it's just a stage.

And I don't know about y'all but it's nearly impossible for me to cook dinner. She's always hanging on my leg or tearing up my kitchen and I can't cook anything but very simple, quick things.
 Scott usually always does bath time around here and I could not be more thankful.  By bathtime I'm just usually worn out and it's nice to have him help me that way.  Plus he's a lot more fun - I just want to get her clean and be done but he lets her play. And she would stay in there all night if she could. I love right after her bath when she's all clean in her jammies.
Every night we all three lay up on her day bed and I sing songs to her.  She loves that. (Not my singing - but just us hanging out).  If she doesn't like one of my songs she will say "No" until I quit singing. And if we try to make the time stop and put her to bed she will start singing "Jesus" as loud and fast as she can because I'll usually sing another song if she does. ha!

And now it's 7:30 and she's in bed and I'm going to do a couple of things and then I'm hoping to relax with Scott and just enjoy our night. I'm looking forward to a weekend where we have nothing planned but a birthday party tomorrow for one of Harper's friends.  It's going to be cold and I want to hibernate! I hope you all have a good weekend! All 4 of you who made it this far reading! ;-)

blog comments powered by Disqus