I'm working on PTO this year for the first time and I'm excited to get more involved in our school especially now that I have two kids there. And since we will be there for another 9 years. Today was the first day for the teachers to be back and we served them a lunch. I'm so thankful for our school and all of the wonderful teachers we have.
I'm thankful for ALL teachers. They are such a gift!
I went tonight and did a prayer walk around the school. I wrote about doing this two years ago and I had planned to do it today and I ironically got three emails just TODAY from people who said that they remember reading that post and they were going to do it this year or were meeting friends to pray over their schools. I thought I would write about it again just as an encouragement for us all to get out there and pray over our schools.
And you don't have to have kids in them to do this. If you live in a community - pick a school and pray over it. And if you are a mom - what a great way to start off the school year. Whether your kids are in public or private school or if you home school - we can't kick off the school year any better way than to begin it with prayer.
I thought I would share some of the things I prayed for - maybe you would like to share other suggestions or verses we could all pray out loud for our kids.
And by the way - prayer walk (in case this is new to you) - is nothing weird. I literally just lapped the school wearing headphones and just silently prayed over it. You could meet friends and circle up in the parking lot.
1. Pray for the protection of your school. Pray for God to put a hedge of protection around the school. That he would send an army of angels to surround the school and to keep evil out.
2. Pray for the safety of the school staff and the teachers.
3. Pray for the teachers. Pray that they would have wisdom, energy, a strong desire to teach, a love for their students - especially the ones that might be hard to love. Pray that they would feel appreciated. Pray that they would have daily strength to pour into their students.
4. Pray for the kids who come from homes where they are not loved or feel safe. Pray that they would find love and acceptance in school and that they would know they are worthy and special. Pray that kids would show them love and compassion.
5. Pray for the kids who don't have enough to eat or clothes or shoes or maybe even a home. Pray that their needs would be provided.
6. Pray for parents who are leaving their kids for the first time. Pray for parents of special needs children who are nervous leaving them. Pray for all parents that they would feel God's comfort and presence and have a confidence that their kids are in the right place.
7. Pray that kids would have kindness and compassion towards one another. That there would be no bullying.
8. Pray for your children and their specific teachers. Pray that they will learn and grow. Pray that they will be salt and light and shine for Jesus.
Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe. 1 Tim 4:12