Before I get to my Friday guest (who I'm sure has NEVER lost her temper) - I wanted to tell you about this course that Lisa-Jo Baker has developed. I was talking to a few separate friends this week - not about this course - but just in casual conversation we each brought up how we can easily get angry with our kids. We let little things go on until they escalate and we as moms can LOSE IT. If this is you - I think this course will help! It's only available for sale through Monday but once you buy it - you have all the time in the world to find time to watch the videos during nap time or school days or at night. I think it will encourage you so much. Go HERE to sign up!
Today my guest is my friend Elizabeth. This is Elizabeth and I from 10 years ago. She is probably one of the sweetest friends I have. I met her at church. Her father-in-law is our pastor. We have been in Sunday School together all of these years. We both went through periods of infertility and bonded through that and I'm just so thankful to call her a friend. She is a former ESL teacher and now is a stay at home mom. Her husband is our prosecuting attorney for our county. Elizabeth is friendly to everyone and has such a genuine heart. People no matter where she goes will tell her their life stories because she is just the kind of person you want to talk to. She's also a twin!
On the more shallow side - Elizabeth ALWAYS has perfect hair. I've been waiting 12 years for a bad hair day from her. ha! And she has been confused for Beth Moore more than once! ha! She is beautiful on the outside but her inside is what shines the brightest!
(This is her twin sister).
I adore Elizabeth and I know you will too!
1. What is your favorite Food?
My mother in law's pot roast and homemade mashed potatoes. Not just saying that for bonus points! She is a phenomenal southern cook!
2. What is your very favorite piece of clothing right now? (FASHION)I love VESTS right now! It's like an extra layer of security and a coat without the sleeve hindrance. Silly, I know.
3. Tell us about your Family?I have been married to my husband Nathan for 12 years, but I have officially known him for more than half my life. We have two children who light up our lives. Elijah is almost 5 and Evelyn is 3. When I think I couldn't love them more, I find my heart bursting with more affection than I ever imagined was humanly possible. I'm so so thankful for my people.
4. What is the most important quality in your Friends? OR tell us something that a Friend has done for you that you can't forget.
The most important qualities in my friends are LOYALTY and ENCOURAGEMENT. I believe if a friend is LOYAL to you, they take the time to first truly see your heart, then they stick with you even when they see the ugly parts and encourage you through the difficult parts, too.
5. What's something you have learned recently in your Faith journey? And/or share your favorite scripture right now and why or your favorite Bible Study or book you have read recently.
Two books that have marked my life are "Choosing Gratitude" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and "So Long Insecurity" by Beth Moore. Every woman would benefit by reading those two books! A major lesson I have learned from the Lord through scripture is that GRATITUDE is fundamental in a healthy walk with the Lord. He has shown me that He is trustworthy to even thank for the terrible, horrible, ugly, most miserable parts of my life. I have thanked him for them and have received renewed strength and restoration as a result of thanking Him for everything. Everything, good and bad, that has touched my life, first passed through His hands. He is able to make the worst into the best and the most hideous into something beautiful when I hand it back to Him in thankfulness. The most beautiful people I have met in my life were the most thankful. Contentment is only possible with genuine gratitude. I dare you! Try and thank Him for something terrible and see what happens.
Verses that have lead my heart in reassurance are Jeremiah 32:17, "Oh, Lord God! You Yourself made the heavens and earth by Your great power and with your outstretched arm. Nothing is too difficult for You."
If you're facing circumstances that seem hopeless and as if decades and even generations of dysfunction have the odds stacked against you, remember the verse that Ann Voskamp mentions in her 1,000 Gifts Devotional "This is what the Lord says: 'In the time of my favor I will answer you, and in the day of salvation I will help you; I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people, to restore the land and reassign its desolate inheritances'." Isaiah 49:8 I love that promise for anyone who believes...that He will reassign all that has harmed you and will save you from the terror of history repeating itself. He is so mighty! What hope we have to break away from generational brokenness to find wholeness in Him!
"Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High...Those who sacrifice thank offerings honor me." Psalm 50:14, 23 Yes, it's a sacrifice, but He has already sacrificed MORE!
6. What is your biggest Fear?
My biggest fear is that some kind of harm will come to my kids. EEEK!
7. What are some of your Favorite things right now?Some of my favorite things right now are ALDI, GroopDealz, Fixer Upper with Chip and Joanna, and Young Living Essential Oils.
8. What has been your biggest Failure?My biggest failure was when I failed to get any gifts for my husband on our first Christmas as a married couple. Allow me to give the backstory, PLEASE!!! We were living on loans and love, like we literally didn't even have a paycheck, and both of us were still in college/grad school. We discussed using any money we got as gifts from family for Christmas toward a little one night trip over to Big Cedar Lodge in Missouri....and that was to be our Christmas to each other. Great idea, right?!?!!? Christmas Eve arrived and there were no gifts under the tree and I had one surprised husband. Apparently, he had gotten me gifts and I had completely misunderstood the xmas plan. I ate some humble pie and thanked God that Barnes and Noble was open on 12/24 and grabbed him some books. NEVER AGAIN have I NOT had gifts ready!
9. What do you do for Fun? For fun, I play with my kids and love when we get to travel as a family. I would say the ONE hobby I have is sewing. I don't have much spare time lately, but when I have the opportunity to make a homemade gift, I enjoy getting to sew something up for loved ones and friends.
10. Tell me about what animals you have? (Furry things)I have one dog named Maya. She is a Cock-a-poo (cocker spaniel & poodle mix). She will be 8 years old in December.
11. What is your favorite FILM? (movie) Sorry! I have several favorites......Cinderella Man, Hope Floats, and Return to Me. For a serious, meaningful movie I would have to choose Schindler's List.
12. What is one Fact we might not know about you?This may sound weird, but every night before bed I HAVE to wash my feet with a piping hot wash cloth. It's so soothing and helps me sleep better!