Monday, June 18, 2018

Camp Siloam Part One

Last week I had the fun chance to go to the church camp that I grew up at! I went to Camp Siloam from 3rd grade until I was a senior and then I worked there every summer during college.  It feels like home to me.  But I've never been a counselor and I haven't been back in over 25 years.  This was Harper's first year to go to camp and Scott's parents graciously agreed to keep the younger two so I could go.  I was SO excited! 

The camp is only 30 minutes from us so it wasn't a very long trip! We left Monday after lunch.  

Harper and her friend Kinley.  They have known each other since they were babies! 

And their friend Madeline

This was our cabin.  I was with 3rd and 4th grade girls and they were sweet.  The bunkhouse was better than I remembered.  At least it had good air conditioning!!!!! 

Emily and her friends! We took about 60 kids from our church.  This was "big church" week so it was just us and two other big churches in Arkansas which was nice.  

The camp had a theme and every day they would do a lot of drama that tied in with the theme.  It was great.  

The first year I worked at camp Siloam - they opened a new worship center.  And the first year I was there as a counselor - they opened a new dining hall.  The old dining hall was SOOOOOOOO old.  It had a tree growing in the middle of it.  The new one is SO nice.  And the food was really good.  I went with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.  And it was also air conditioned.

This is important because it was in the 90's all week and about 90% humidity and I sweat buckets constantly.  

We went to bed around midnight on Monday night.  The girls were SO excited and giggly.  I woke up early on Tuesday morning and realized we didn't have power and there was a bad storm outside. Luckily we had all showered before bed so the girls had to get up and get ready in the dark.  Thankfully the dining hall had power so we were able to have breakfast.  The power came back around 10.  

We had morning devotions every day and then a worship service.  Then we had "color wars".  The camp was divided into two teams and we had these massive games.  

Some of our boys! I feel like I didn't see them much but they were around having a blast! 

Harper and one of her friends.  

My hair in humidity. ha! 

After lunch we have four hours of recreation time.  They swim, go down a massive water slide, play a variety of games, do crafts, take naps or hang out at the "hub" or snack shack.  The kids had a great time and I would kind of follow them around.  

Every night was a theme night.  Tuesday night was Red, White and Blue night.  

My sweet friends Marci and Kerry came to visit and brought us Sonic drinks.  They had never been to camp so I took them on a tour after dinner.  

Laurie and Sarah Kate came too.  SK didn't go to camp this year but Emily did.  

Harper was thrilled to have SK there!  Every night after dinner we have a worship service.  It was SO good.  Our pastor, Mike Seabaugh, is amazing with kid.  He did a lot of Bible dramas and had great stories.  And the worship was so good too.  

Then we had group time with our church every night and then some free time before lights out at 10:30.  They usually didn't settle down until midnight most nights.  

This was the first half of camp - I will share more tomorrow!!! 

Monday, June 11, 2018

Weekend Fun

We had a very full weekend  but it was so fun! 

Friday afternoon, we went to a birthday party for our friend Joseph.  They have a pool so it was a swimming party and then the snow cone truck showed up.  It was such a hot day and just a fun party! 

Hollis and Joseph have been friends since they were one - so six years! They have so much fun together.  Will Holden thinks Joseph is HIS friend.  

Friday night the girls and I were honored to walk in a fashion show to raise money for the NWA women's shelter.  We did it last year also.  It mortifies me to walk a run way so I love to do it with my girls because they were NOT shy.  I was so proud of them - they walked and posed and smiled and I just tried not to fall down.  We wore outfits from Old Navy.  I love Hollis' romper and Harper was so proud of her outfit that she picked out on her own.  

They had 50 models - all women from NWA.  It was a very diverse group - a lot of amazing women.  They had people that were there to do hair and makeup so the girls had their hair done.  Look at Hollis' amazing hair!!! It's always in a ponytail or a bow so she looked so old with it down. 

One of Harper's good friends from school was a model too so they had fun together! 

This was my group right before we walked.  It was fun to meet some women I didn't know and some I knew of but had never met! 

They had a really fun photo booth in an old van and we couldn't pass that up! The girls had so much fun and I enjoyed having a girls night with them.

We spent all of Saturday cleaning house and getting ready to be gone for two weeks.  

Saturday night, Scott and I went to see Travis Cottrel in concert.  It was SOOOO incredible.  I cried all of my make up off - it was just very moving.  

Travis is such a nice guy.  And so talented! And he's also funny if you have ever listened to him on Sophie and Melanie's podcast! 

Ya'll this song.  It's SOOOO good!!!!

I had several friends there! My friend Sam and her husband were there! I also was able to meet a new friend that just moved to town.  We have talked on IG many times because she knew she was moving here so it was good to meet in person.  Her husband had to cut us off because we could have talked forever I think.  

Today we had church and went to lunch.  

And then Harper went to celebrate Sarah Kate's 10th birthday.  They went bowling and then back to their house for pizza and cake! 

I love that these two are besties.  I hope they stay that way all through growing up.  

From the 10th birthday to Sarah Kate's first! 

We leave for camp this morning! You can pray for me not to die from a heat stroke and for no kids to get sick! :-) 

Friday, June 08, 2018


One of my main goals this year is to keep screen time to a minimum.  So every day the kids have to do a few chores and read before they can watch TV.  And we also try to spend a good chunk of the day outside doing something.  We have gone swimming several days or we play at parks or we go on long trail walks.  

My favorite thing is walking trails because we have so many and they are so pretty.  And the kids like the ones by Crystal Bridges because there is a lot to see. 

And a lot of art to pose with! 

They don't realize we have walked so much when they are having fun! I'm thankful for the great weather we have been having so we can be outside so much! 

On her last visit we realized Harper's hearing aids were getting close to the warranty and because of insurance we decided to go ahead and pursue a new pair of hearing aids.  She needs a new pair about every 3-4 years.  I told her she had to pick a color she REALLY liked because she would have them until she was a TEENAGER! 

So she chose this blue.  Which I love.  And she really loves.  She won't get them until a little after school starts but I'm just so thankful for hearing aids and technology and how it helps her so much! 

Harper and I leave for camp on Monday.  We will get back Friday morning and leave Friday night for the beach.  So I'm a little crazed trying to get everything ready.  We did find sunglasses in the Target dollar bin so that was one check off our list.  We have a busy weekend with a fashion show, two birthday parties, a concert and church plus packing and cleaning and just regular life! 

Happy Friday everyone!!!